Sept 4 VDS Newsletter
1. Dance classes begin this week! I’m so excited to get back into swing of it with dancers! I’ve had quite a few calls this week seeking information so enrollments will continue to “drift in”. Some classes may start small with two or 3 to begin with.
2. Autopay ran successfully for most for membership and dancewear. If yours did not, please check that you have your account information entered correctly. Once autopay runs for a particular date it will not automatically run again, so either I must change the run date, or you can pay through your account. Tuition will run on September 10th.
3. The Door: I have given my unlock schedule to the building director. Sometimes things just don’t work right, so if door is not unlocked just call 785-819-2925 and we’ll send some one up to let you in. I’ve asked for doors to be unlocked 5 min before and after class start times.
4. Dance wear: We have quite a few used dance shoes, and I’m happy to order for you. I place orders once a week to hold down shipping costs. Shipping for one item is $10, and that’s ridiculous. I always have tights in stock.
5. Newsletters, etc. Each week on Sunday I send out a newsletter. I post same on Band, and on the website in the blog section. I usually print out also, because I know that you all are very busy and might not have time to read. I just really want everyone to know everything they need to know.
What to expect 1st day of dance
1. If dancers have not previously picked up their shoes and dancebags I will give them their items.
2. I will introduce the dancers to the room, showing them the x’s, the mirrors, cubbies, some of the props etc.
3. I will give them a stuffie . They should keep in dancebag, little ones dance with them each week.
4. I will take 1st day of dance photos. These will be posted in Band.
5. Parents of younger dancers may stay in waiting area. Dancers in Comets and older prefer parents to leave.
With remaining time:
Younger dancers ; Twinkle tots, Starlets
1. Dancers will participate in several high energy activities, running, walking, etc.
2. Dancers will sit on their x’s while we do a simple stretch
3. Dancers will do a movement based activity
4. Dancers will do a song while standing on their x’s
5. End of class dancers will receive a tag for the day, a color page and will be able to choose a sucker as they leave
Middle Dancers: Sparklers, Comets
1. In ballet dancers will learn 1 or two ballet warm ups, an across the floor activity and an exercise to music
2. In tap dancers will learn/review single sounds and double sounds, an across the floor activity and an exercise to music
3. Comets2 will learn a jazz walk
4. End of class dancers will receive a tag for the day, a color page and will be able to choose a sucker as they leave
Older Dancers: Meteors, Constellation
1. In each genre dancers will review warm ups, across the floor and an exercise to music.
2. End of class dancers will receive a tag for the day, a color page and will be able to choose a sucker as they leave
Will we begin to learn a dance right away? No, but we will work on the beginnings of things. In a few weeks some classes will begin Halloween dances which we will demonstrate at a care home. Then we will learn Christmas dances to again perform at care homes, Mayor’s Christmas party, the Shriners Christmas Tree event. After winter break younger dancers begin to work on their recital dances. Older dancers sometimes begin work on one or two recital routines earlier in the year as their technique allows.